Savoury Herb & White Cheddar Scones from Farmer's Daughter
As promised in our latest issue, here is the recipe from Farmer's Daughter, who many may know from their former store in Toronto and their current Muskoka location. Famous for their delicious pastries, they were kind enough to share their Savoury Herb & White Cheddar scones with us! Believe me, as soon as I finished taking that picture (the one that's oozing with butter) I dived in, and it doesn't disappoint! Make them as a gift or just to enjoy. Happy Baking!
4 cups All Purpose, Organic Flour
2Tbsp. Baking Powder
1tsp. Baking Soda
1/2tsp. Onion Powder
5oz. Old White Cheddar, Grated
2Tbsp. Assorted Chopped Herbs, including Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley & Chives
3/4 cups Cold Butter, cut into cubes
1 1/2 to 2 cups 2% Mild, plus extra for finishing
Pinch of Cracked Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
2. Combine the flour, powder, soda, salt and onion powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Place grated cheddar into another bowl, finely chop the herbs and add to the cheddar.
4.Cut the chopped butter into the dry ingredients and work until the butter is pea-sized.
5. Add the cheddar and herbs to the flour/butter mixture. Toss to combine.
6. Make a well in the centre and add the milk to the flour mixture.
7. Using a fork or wooden spoon, combine the ingredients until just well mixed.
8. Gentry knead until the dough froms a smooth ball. Lightly flour work surface if the dough becomes too sticky.
9. Shape into rectangle and cut into 12 equal squares.
10. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place scones evenly on tray. Brush with milk or egg wash and sprinkle freshly cracked pepper.
11. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Rotate tray and continue baking until scones are golden and firm. Approxminately 10-12 additional minutes.
That's it! Enjoy!
p.s. don't forget to enter our reader giveaway, posted below!