First off, I must apologize for being tardy with part 2, I was expecting to have this to you by Sunday! So, I said I'd share what I've found with you... I'm sure by now you've heard about mineral make-up. Its been gaining popularity since the seventies, but growth has been slower here in Canada, so I'm fairly new to it. But I'm hooked. I must warn you though, not all mineral products are created equal. Before you buy, here are a few things to consider:
1. If it's pressed, don't buy it. There are chemicals in it to make it that way.
2. Always, always read the ingredients. Quo, a brand of mineral make-up, for example, has parabens in some of its products. Like I said yesterday, just because it says natural, don't necessarily believe it.
3. Take time to look into the brand of make-up you're interested in. The source of the minerals is important. If they were cheaply purchased, they may have come from a contaminated source. Also, processing of the minerals is important. You don't want all sorts of chemicals added during this process. Talking to the manufacturer is likely the only way to get this information.
4. Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, typical ingredients in mineral make-up, have been contended over the years. There is some concern that if the particles are too finely ground they are absorbed into your skin. There is also a good deal of contamination and poor quality minerals. Again, make sure you trust your brand. If these two ingredients are of very good quality and pure, they are actually beneficial, as they will protect your skin against the sun.
5. Lastly, price - mineral make-up ranges from under $10 to over $50. Make sure you really research the market well to find the best possible product for you, and find someone really knowledgeable to help you.
I've been really impressed with a particular brand - a small housebrand located here in Canada, called LUVU Beauty - so much research goes into finding the purest possible minerals. The products are affordable (Foundation $15), easy to use, very long-lasting, look amazing, and feel like naked skin. There is a full range of products, from foundations, powders, bronzers/blush, highlighters, concealers and more, plus a zillion amazing shades of eyeshadow. I originally bought some for my wedding this summer, but I liked it so much I brought it into my eco store, Sustain. Please know, however, that I'm bringing you this product as a result of tons of research, not because I happen to sell it. In fact, I've invited Tira Wootton, the CEO of LUVU, onto Pure Green to guest post about her make-up, bringing you all kinds of tips and tricks. Her debut will be an interview with me, telling you all about how she got started. In the meantime, one of my readers will get a lucky sneak peak into the wondrous world of LUVU Beauty by winning this GIVEAWAY! I'm giving one reader a trio of eyeshadow: a base, an accent and a highlighter to enjoy. To enter: simply leave a comment and the winner will be picked at random. Giveaway open until Sunday, January 10th, and is open only to residents of Canada or U.S. Below is a sample of what you'll be receiving. Also, if you're interested in learning more about LUVU or would like to purchase, email me and I'll consult with you to help you pick the perfect products and I'll also give Pure Green readers 10% off. I'll look forward to hearing from you!